Here’s an incredible recipe on how to make fried chicken on par with your favorite restaurant. It’s not the easiest thing to do, but you’ll love the end result!
- 1 Jar sliced pickles, such as Vlasic, with brine.
- 4 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 cup buttermilk.
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour.
- 1 Quart peanut, vegetable, or canola oil.
- 4 Soft hamburger buns or potato rolls, toasted.
- Pour 3/4 cup pickle juice out of pickle jar into a cup. Reserve pickles.
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Place in a plastic zipper-lock bag and pour in pickle juice
- Seal bag, pressing out as much air as possible.
- Refrigerate and let chicken soak in pickle juice for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- When ready to fry, remove chicken from bag and discard pickle juice. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Pour buttermilk into a medium bowl. Add flour and 1 tablespoon pepper to a second bowl
- Transfer 3 tablespoons of buttermilk to bowl with flour and work it into the flour with your fingertips.
- Transfer chicken to bowl with buttermilk and turn to coat.
- Working with one piece at a time, remove chicken from buttermilk, allowing excess to drip off.
- Add chicken to bowl with flour and turn, lifting the flour on top of it and pressing it down firmly until a thick, shaggy layer of flour has stuck to the chicken.
- Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet, using a frying thermometer or an instant-read thermometer.
- Carefully lower chicken pieces into the hot oil; temperature will drop.
- Adjust flame to maintain a temperature of between 300 and 350°F.
- Cook without moving until well browned on first side, about 2 minutes.
- Flip chicken carefully using tongs and a slotted spatula and cook until second side is browned and chicken is fully cooked, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
- Place bottom buns on a work surface and top with a few pickles each
- Top with fried chicken, followed by top buns. Serve immediately.