This is the perfect recipe for that perfectly soft and mushy cinnamon rolls you don’t want to miss on your tailgate!
- ½ cup unsalted butter- melted
- 2 cups warm (110-115˚F) whole milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 pack active dry yeast
- 5 cups flour- divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup butter- softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Butter two disposable foil pie/cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together warm milk, melted butter, and granulated sugar. The mixture should be just warm, registering between 100-110˚F. If it is hotter, allow to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the warm mixture and let set for 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups of all-purpose flour to the milk mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F
- After 1 hour, the dough should have nearly doubled in size. Remove the towel and add an additional ¾ cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Stir well, then turn out onto a well-floured surface.
- Knead the dough lightly, adding additional flour as necessary, until the dough just loses its stickiness and does not stick to the surface.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about ½-inch thick. Fix corners to make sure they are sharp and even.
- Spread the softened butter evenly over the dough.
- Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. Press the mixture into the butter.
- Roll up the dough, forming a log, and pinch the seam closed. Place seam-side down. Trim off any unevenness on either end.
- Cut the log in half, then divide each half into 7 evenly sized pieces (about 1½ inches thick each).
- Place 7 cinnamon rolls in each cake pan, one in the center, six around the sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap. Bake the cinnamon rolls in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, prepare the frosting. In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, whole milk, and powdered sugar, until smooth.
- Remove the cinnamon buns from the oven. While still warm, drizzle evenly with frosting.