A southern tradition that has made its way into tailgates across the US. There’s nothing better than a few hot hush puppies to pair with your seafood or BBQ dish, so check it out and make a few!
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 cup baking mix
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk milk, egg, and onion together in a bowl
- Stir pancake mix, cornmeal, and salt into milk mixture to form a smooth batter.
- Scoop ping pong ball-sized balls of batter using a small ice cream scoop; drop about 5 scoops per batch into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove hush puppies with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate
- Repeat with remaining batter.