Another Chicago Style favorite, but this time from the south side. It’s a distant cousin of the Chicago-Style hot dog, but many in Chicago prefer it. If you love grilled onions and are looking for a tastier sausage, give this a try!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 links Polish kielbasa (about 1 1/2 pounds), patted dry with a paper towel
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 poppy seed hot dog buns
- Yellow mustard, for topping (optional!)
- 8 to 12 pickled sport peppers or other pickled peppers
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Add the kielbasa and cook until the inside is complete and a bit of char, about 5 minutes per side
- Set aside in tin foil
- In the same skillet, add the onion and stir to combine with the oil remaining in the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Once the onion is golden and soft, set aside.
- Place a sausage on a bun, slather with good yellow mustard and top with an ample amount of caramelized onion and 2 or 3 pickled peppers.
- Wrap the sandwich in deli paper, parchment paper or foil, or just serve straight to a hand!