History

Cameron Indoor Stadium is the home of the Duke Blue Devils men’s basketball, women’s basketball, and women’s volleyball teams. The 9,314 seat arena opened in 1940 and is named after former Duke basketball head coach Eddie Cameron. When Cameron Indoor Stadium opened, it was the largest arena south of Philadelphia.

Since opening, Cameron Indoor Stadium has undergone several renovations. The arena originally seated 8,800, but in 1987-88 the arena’s capacity was increased to its present day capacity of 9,314. The renovation also added an electronic scoreboard and video display at center court. In 2002, air conditioning was added to the arena. More recently, a new video scoreboard was installed in 2008 and LED ribbon boards were added in 2009.

Cameron Indoor Stadium is one of the most famous arenas in college basketball and has hosted many big games over the years. The Blue Devils played their first game at Cameron Indoor Stadium on January 6, 1940, when they defeated Princeton 36 to 27. A little under four decades later the Blue Devils played their first televised game at Cameron when they beat Marquette 69-64 on January 28, 1979. Additionally, Cameron Indoor Stadium was the site of the Southern Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament in 1947 and 1950 as well as the MEAC Men’s Basketball Tournament in 1972 and 1973.

Historic Events