The Kohl Center in Madison, Wisconsin has been the home of the University of Wisconsin men’s and women’s basketball teams and men’s and women’s hockey teams since 1998. The arena is named after former US Senator Herb Kohl and costs $76.4 million to build. The Kohl Center seats 17,230 for basketball and 15,359 for hockey.
Since opening, the Kohl Center has undergone a few minor renovations. In 2004, a new scoreboard and LED ribbon boards were installed. The new scoreboard replaced the arena’s original scoreboard, which was brought over from UW Field House. A year later, a bar and restaurant were added to the stadium’s second level. More recently, the seating in the upper deck was reconfigured to increase the arena’s capacity from 17,190 to 17,230.
Over the years, the Kohl Center has hosted numerous other events in addition to Badgers basketball and hockey. The arena was the site of 2002 NCAA Men’s Basketball Midwest Regional and the 2008 NCAA Men’s Hockey Midwest Regional. It also has hosted the WIAA Boy’s Basketball Tournament every year since 1998. Outside of sporting events, Barack Obama gave a speech at the Kohl Center on February 12, 2008, before the Wisconsin primary and the arena hosted the 2008 Jeopardy! College Championship.
Camp Randall Stadium is the oldest stadium in the Big Ten and home to the Wisconsin Badgers football team. The Badgers have called Camp Randall home since 1895. However, it did not become a fully functional stadium until 1917. In addition to being one the oldest stadiums in college football, Camp Randall is also one of the largest with a capacity of 80,321.
The stadium gets its name from the fact it is located on the Camp Randall Union army training ground and over the years has been heavily renovated from these humble beginnings. The grounds were bought by the state in 1893 and given to the university who turned it into an athletic field. Camp Randall originally served as home to the track and field team, however, in 1895 the baseball and football teams took over the grounds. Originally the stadium was just wooden bleachers, however, in 1917 a new concrete stadium with 11,900 seats opened. In 1922 the remaining wood bleachers burned down and were replaced with more permanent seats. Until the 1950s the stadium’s capacity grew steadily as the horseshoe became larger, and seating was added in front of the Wisconsin Field House. Then in 1958 the stadium saw its next major change as the track around the field was removed and 11,000 seats were added. In 1966 an upper deck was added, and Camp Randall’s capacity exceeded 70,000 for the first time. The 1960s also saw the playing surface change from real grass to artificial turf for the first time in the stadium’s history in 1968. The stadium underwent a large-scale reconstruction project in 2004 when luxury boxes, a five-story office building, and football program offices were added. Camp Randall’s most recent renovation took place in 2014 when the Student Athlete Performance Center opened, which included renovated locker rooms, academic and strength training facilities, multimedia instructional space, and a new scoreboard.
Throughout its illustrious history, Camp Randall Stadium has also been home to many other events besides Badgers football. The stadium hosts the WIAA state football championships and has also been the site of many Packers preseason games over the years with the most recent having taken place in 1999. Also, both the Badgers Men and Women’s hockey teams took the ice at Camp Randall as part of the Culver’s Camp Randall Hockey Classic in 2010. Additionally, the stadium has been the site of many concerts including Pink Floyd, U2, and the Rolling Stones
Camp Randall Stadium and its grounds had a rich history prior to its affiliation with Wisconsin athletics. Built in 1917, is the home for Wisconsin’s football team. The current capacity (80,321) ranks among the nation’s largest school-owned stadiums.
In the days before the Civil War, the site was owned by the Wisconsin Agricultural Society, which held its annual state fair on the grounds. When hostilities broke out in 1861, the society gave the land to the government for a major military training center. More than 70,000 troops attended training drills at the Camp Randall complex.
After peace was restored nationally, the land was returned to state fair property. The fair later moved to Milwaukee, and Wisconsin’s Civil War veterans urged the legislature to purchase the land. In 1893, the state presented the site to the university as a memorial athletic field.
Intercollegiate athletics began on campus in 1881, and football joined the scene in 1889. The first games were played on the lower part of campus. The stadium was built at its present site in 1913. A tragic collapse of the wooden bleachers in 1915 prompted the UW to make plans for concrete stands.