The University of Washington’s Hec Edmundson Pavilion has been the home of the Huskies men’s basketball team since 1927. The 10,000-seat arena is also the home of the university’s women’s basketball, women’s volleyball, and gymnastics teams. The facility is named after University of Washington track and basketball coach Hec Edmundson.
In 1999, Hec Edmundson Pavilion underwent a $40 million renovation. The renovation added a practice gym within the facility and increased the arena’s capacity from 7,900 to 10,000. It also removed 20 support pillars that obstructed fans views and added new locker rooms and training facilities.
In addition to Huskies basketball, Hec Edmundson Pavilion has been the site of many other events over the years. The arena hosted the 1949 and 1952 NCAA Final Four. The venue also hosted Seattle SuperSonics games on several occasions including two home games during the first round of the 1987 NBA Playoffs. Hec Edmundson Pavilion is also where the Grateful Dead played the longest recorded version of “Playing in the Band” in 1974.