The History of Bobby Dodd Stadium

Bobby Dodd Stadium located in Atlanta, Georgia is the home of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets football team. The stadium is named for legendary Yellow Jackets football coach Bobby Dodd, who has the record for most wins in Georgia Tech history. It is the oldest continuously used on-campus football stadium in the South having opened in 1905. Construction of the stadium, however, was not completed until 1913 when the students built permanent grandstands.

The stadium has been expanded several times to get to its current day capacity of 55,000. The modern day incarnation of Bobby Dodd Stadium bears little resemblance to the original, which only housed a capacity of 5,600. The East and South stands were added in 1925 to increase the capacity to 30,000. The stadium also underwent several renovations from the 1940s to 1960s, which boosted the capacity to 58,121. Then in 1985 the South stands were removed to make room for the William C. Wardlaw Center, a modern day fieldhouse that is also home to the university’s athletic offices. The stadium was most recently expanded in 2003 when an upper deck was added to the north end zone.

Bobby Dodd Stadium was home to one of the most famous games in the history of college football when the Georgia Tech beat Cumberland College 222 to 0 on October 7, 1916. This Yellow Jackets victory holds the honor of being the most lopsided victory in the history of American football. Another notable event to occur at Bobby Dodd Stadium was in 1974 when it hosted the first concert in its history. Another moment that Tech fans will always remember is the 2008 Georgia Tech – Florida State game where the Yellow Jackets ended their 12-game losing streak to the Seminoles. The Yellow Jackets will look to recorded many more historic victories at Bobby Dodd Stadium in the near future.

Leave a Reply